bubble star

The Latest Update on Ethiopian News

The United States is encouraged by recent progress Ethiopia and Eritrea have made toward resolving their longstanding differences, the White House has said. The two African countries waged a border war from 1998-2000 that killed tens of thousands of people. Disputes over the still-militarized frontier, in particular the town of Badme, have kept the two sides at loggerheads. On Wednesday, Eritrean President Isaias Afwerki raised hopes of a breakthrough in the conflict by describing recent peace overtures from Ethiopia as...

Read More...
Armed opposition group, Patriotic Ginbot7 (PG7) announced that it has unilaterally suspended all operations using firearms to show its support for the ongoing political changes undertaken by a reformist group within the ruling party, spearheaded by the new Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed. For the past many years, the Ethiopian people have engaged in a painstaking struggle to extricate themselves from brutal repression and to transition to a democratic order. In a recent Press Release, the rebel group,  unequivocally stated its...

Read More...
African leaders meeting in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia on Thursday told South Sudan’s president and rebel leader that ‘‘enough was enough’‘ to bring peace to their country. “We all have said enough is enough. We all have vowed never again. Now the time for promises is over. We need to act and time is not on our side”, said Ethiopian Prime Minister, Abiy Ahmed. It is the first time since 2016 that regional leaders were able to bring South Sudan’s...

Read More...
The Tigray People’s Liberation Front (TPLF), which recently criticised Ethiopia’s decision to hand over the disputed border town of Badme town to Eritrea, has welcomed the decision by President Isaias Afwerki to send a peace delegation to Addis Ababa. Local media portal, Addis Standard reported that the TPLF announcement was made by its chairman, Debretsion G. Michael. TPLF which is the oldest member of the ruling EPRDF coalition, said last week that recent decisions by the new prime...

Read More...
Algeria went offline on Wednesday for the start of high school diploma exams, the first in a series of internet blackouts to stop students cheating. Mobile and fixed internet lines were cut across the country for a total of two hours, to coincide with the start of two separate school tests, AFP journalists in Algiers said. A third hour-long internet shutdown was planned for later on Wednesday, according to a schedule issued by public operator Algerie Telecom. Internet services were...

Read More...

Load More